I’m a fairly superstitious person. Not like avoid-black-cats-and-ladders type, but a few things get to me. One is a complete over share: I always get my period after I’ve visited my mother-in-law. So, I try and avoid her (more) around the 2WW.
I was wearing a pendant from my in-laws during an entire cycle once. The pendant is a Greek Evil Eye and was supposed to protect me from harm, yada yada. I wore it on my CD3 and received good news, so I continued to wear it until my pregnancy test. It didn’t help.
I’m superstitious outside of trying to grow a baby, too. I am a huge lacrosse fan and if I’m at a game and my team wins, I will wear the exact same things to the next game. Seriously – the same, bra, undies, pants, tops. I even do my hair the exact same and paint my nails the same color. It’s obsessive, almost. I might wear the same clothing – but they’re washed. I have limits.
Anyway, I started to think: how superstitious am I? What would I be willing to try and what do I think is completely off the wall? So I made a list.
1. Growing parsley will cause you to “fall pregnant”.
Well… uh, I tried growing parsley this spring and it died*. In fact, all of the herbs I ever try to grow die. There is a variation to the superstition – apparently if someone gives you a parsley plant, it will have the pregnancy effect. Not sure if it would work to ask someone to give me the plant… But I’d try it!
2. Drink from the glass of a pregnant woman and you’ll get pregnant.
No. Who would do this? Even if you’re willing to go there, what do you think the pregnant woman would say? How awkward would that conversation go? And if she’d been TTC for a while and knows what you’re going through, I’m sure she’d help you find another old wives tales to try out.
3. Eat pineapples/drink pineapple juice every day from when you ovulate until you test (this will help implantation).
Ehhh. I’m lukewarm on this. I really like pineapples, but I’m just not sure I believe it this. I might give it a go, but I don’t know that I’d do it for a solid two weeks. Pineapple juice is really good with Malibu rum, FYI.
4. Yellow booties under your pillow.
When? During conception-attempt sex? Or all the time? Either way, I might give it a shot. I love looking at baby stuff and booties just might be my favorite.
5. Pillow under the hips after sex/legs in the air for _____ amount of time after sex.
I’ve done this almost every time. I give up on that now. I even had my own step-momma tell me to do this, which was awkward at best.
6. Brass wind chimes at your front door will help increase your chi.
I find wind chimes to be kind of annoying. And kind of tacky. I probably wouldn’t do this… unless someone bought a wind chime for Cody and I.
7. Indoor bamboo plants will also increase your chi. Apparently you need good chi in order to get pregnant.
I have 5 indoor bamboo plants. No dice.
8. Find out what the moon was when you were born. If it’s the same on a day you’re ovulating, you’ll get pregnant.
Interesting. Creative. I’ll try it! Note: I just went to this website and ended up with a picture like this. I don’t know what it means, so I don’t know if I’ll ever know what the moon was when I was born….
Update: I found the “right chart”. It is still German to me… I don’t know what any of this means.
9. Chugging cough syrup will help you conceive.
No. Just… no. Even if there was proof any ingredient in cough syrup boosts fertility/thins cervical mucous, etc., I couldn’t do this. I gag on cough syrup.
10. Adopt and you’ll get pregnant.
I’ve heard this AT MY RE’s OFFICE. FROM THE RECEPTIONIST! It goes right along with those who think you just need to relax and you’ll get knocked up.
11. Don’t sweep under the bed.
Check. My floor is carpeted anyway.
12. Swallowing a watermelon seed will get you pregnant.
13. (My personal favorite): Make an appointment with a doctor to see why you’re not pregnant. Once there, you’ll find out you are pregnant.
I call BULL SHIT.
All in all, they’re funny and harmless. Except maybe that cough syrup one.
Do you have rituals/superstitions/old wives tales that you listen to/follow when trying to make a mini-you?
*I think I might have been mistaken. I think I was trying to grow basil and it died. Herbs do not like me.